Gabriella Davis June 7 2011 11:21:47 AMIf you're building a Sametime 8.5.2 environment you may be confused where to start and where to stop. Don't try and wing it without reading any documentation, you won't lose geek points for at least skimming this entry. There is a lot of good information in the Sametime Wiki, although don't try going there and choosing "Installation" - that's a blank page. Go into the Sametime Administration documentation for 8.5.2 here . Even if you try to follow the documentation many people don't religiously read every page and there are some things you may miss in your hurry to get started.
Here then is a - very top level summary - list of tasks for building a ST 8.5.2 environment. It's obviously not comprehensive but hopefully gives you a bit of a checklist to work against. I'm assuming you want EVERYTHING - IM, Meetings, browse client, audio / video through the clients and through the web.
- Do yourself a favour if you can and disable IPV6 before starting
- Install DB2
- Create System Console database
- you do this by using the CreateDB script found in the databasescripts folder in the SSC install files)
- remember to sign in to the server using the db2 admin credentials you just created to create the database, then sign out and back with your admin credentials to carry on
Once the Community Server Is Installed You Can Continue. You Need To Have A Community Server In Place In The SSC Before You Can Install Other Components There.
- Create the Meeting server database
- you do this by using the CreateMeetingDB script found in the databasescripts folder in the Meeting Server install files)
- remember to sign in to the server using the db2 admin credentials to create the database, then sign out and back with your admin credentials to carry on
- find the TURN_Server folder in the Media Server install files and copy the contents to any location
- Modify the run.bat or run.sh files found in that folder so that the line beginning java.exe will have a path in front of it pointing to the IBM jvm.
- The IBM jvm is available in a Notes install or a WAS install. On a standard WAS install it will be found at
For Web Audio / Video
- Under the Media Server installers find the file sametimewebav.zip and extract its contents into the proxy server directory folder eg
- Or put all the files on a webserver and add the URL to the files in the proxy server configuration within the SSC
During the install on Windows you will notice that ST installs services for each server. If you install everything in one cell on the same box you will have services for the SSC deployment manager, the SSC node agent, the SSC itself and then the Meeting Server, Media Manager and Proxy Server. The last 3 services will not work and will start and then stop again.
- I remove the services the installer puts in using wasservice -remove (WASService is found in the bin directory under Appserver)
- I then add the services I want including node agents for each server using WASService -add -serverName -profilePath and -logRoot
I'm sure I've forgotten something since this was all from memory but I'll edit / update it if I come across more.
- Comments